Restaurant boss Faheem Vanoo, alongside his chef wife Shilpa, four-year-old daughter Amaira and two colleagues Sufyan Raza and Melania Valeri, were in a vehicle in South West London before they were involved in a car accident involving Ant McPartlin’s car – who was thereafter arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
Now, the family have made claims regarding their account of the incident – alleging Ant was argumentative prior to his arrest, saying the words ‘Do you know who I am’ before getting into the police car.
Assistant chef Sufyan and waitress Melania suffered bruising in the crash as they sat in the car with Faheem, Shilpa and Amaira.
Sufyan alleged to The Sun: “It took quite a few of them to get him into their police car and he was swearing at them and shouting, “don’t you know who I am?”
“His hands were cuffed in front of him and I saw him banging his fists on the windows.
“He was shouting at them and they were telling him to shut up”
Ant McPartlin’s mum Christine Woodhall is pictured leaving her son’s home the day after his arrest on suspicion of drink driving [Flynet]
Ant McPartlin and family are pictured in the days following arrest on suspicion of drink driving – click here for pictures
Amaira was assessed in an ambulance at the scene, however did not require hospital treatment.
Melania said: “I didn’t recognise the friendly face we see on TV when I saw him after the crash.
“He was just this scruffy little guy with a beard who looked the worse for wear.”
Mum Shilpa, from Brentford, West London, told the publication: “I was so angry with him I lost my cool and tried to run up to him and smash his face — I had to be held back.
“I had been sitting in the back seat and didn’t realise it then but my face had hit a headrest and my lip was bleeding.
“The horn of his car was blaring and my little girl was crying in shock. It was a terrible, chaotic scene. It was a little while later before I realised it was Ant.”
Following Ant’s arrest, his representative released a statement regarding his health – confirming he had headed back to rehab.
A statement from Ant and Dec’s representative read: “Ant has decided to go back into treatment and step down from his current TV commitments.
“He has spoken with Dec and ITV today and asked for time off for the foreseeable future. As such ‘Saturday Night Takeaway’ will not be going ahead this Saturday.”